Where Everybody Knows Your Name
>> Wednesday, January 5, 2011
I recently went back to working out. I use to work out all the time. In fact, I was very athletic growing up, but fast forward to my life now....you would have no clue.
I rejoined the gym where I use to serve on the board. I had to quit the board because life was to crazy, but now I have time to workout. Yes, it is great for all the physical health benefits but there are amazing emotional and mental benefits too. The gym is my place. I go in there, and I see my people...people I like, people I want to be around and people that make me feel welcomed, connected and part of something. It is my place....truly my community.
At the core of leadership is knowing what works for your situation. For me, and actually most women, it is about community. Years ago, my husband purchased a bunch of exercise equipment for us to use in our basement. I told him that I would never use the stuff. He bought it anyway and....I never use the stuff! I know what works for me. Working out in isolation is not it. I need the music, the people...my people. Maybe it is because I grew up playing sports and was always part of a team. Research from the Sloan Center in Massachusetts would say it is because women thrive in relation. In other words, we need our peeps to be at our best!
I will have to keep you posted on how my gym commitment goes. So far so good. At least I know what works for me. At least I found my peeps!
Where do you feel a sense of community? Where are your peeps?
0 comments:
Post a Comment